Pet Travel Advice

Travelling to the EU With Your Pet
Now that the UK is no longer part of the EU, the rules for travelling abroad with your pet have changed. The new pet travel rules came into effect on 1st January 2021 and you will need to be aware of them if you plan on travelling to the EU with your beloved pet. These rules apply to anyone travelling with a Dog, Cat or Ferret. It’s vital that you are fully aware of the new requirements and are organised well in advance to avoid any problems when travelling and to ensure the process is as smooth and hassle-free as possible.

Even if you have travelled with your pet before, there are some new things you’ll need to know. For example, you may have previously used a Pet Passport when travelling but these are now no longer valid for entry into the EU or Northern Ireland. Please be aware that the new rules require extra paperwork and you should also be prepared for additional documents, appointments with your vet and further costs.

When travelling to an EU country with your pet, they MUST have the following:

For more information please view our blog on Travelling to the EU with your pet.

Travelling Outside of the EU With Your Pet 
We have Official Veterinarians (OVs) who are experienced at completing the relevant paperwork. Please note that for many non-EU countries (e.g. South Africa, Australia, New-Zealand etc.) you cannot use a Pet Passport, and an Export Health Certificate (EHC) is instead required.

Please note there are different requirements for some countries, so wherever you are returning from, it is important to check the latest UK Government information about travelling with your pet well in advance of your trip. It is your responsibility as the pet owner to ensure all requirements are met.

For up-to-date information on your legal obligations when travelling abroad with your pet, we recommend that you contact the Department for Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs for full details of current requirements.