Life-saving and heart-warming stories
The "hole" truth
This gorgeous boy is Jeremy. His owner bought him in to see our vet Ash on Monday evening, as he had not been eating for a couple of days, was lethargic and not quite his usual spritely self. Ash admitted him to the surgery that evening to take a blood sample, place him on intravenous fluids and take an x-ray. The x-ray showed that Jeremy had a mass within his chest cavity. After discussions with his owner, it was agreed that he would stay in overnight, for further investigations the following day.
Extensive diagnostic tests found that it was in fact Jeremy's liver in his chest - a diaphragmatic hernia (a hole in the diaphram) had allowed the liver to pass from the abdomial cavity (where it should be!), into his chest cavity.
Corrective surgery was sucessful and as you can see from the pictures attached, Jeremy was soon back to his usual self, rolling around his kennel and demanding fuss from our nurses! We all wish Jeremy a speedy recovery.
A sickly solution!
The two naughty boxers, Roxy and Scarlett, came in to see our vet James after eating a whole packet of thyroid medication! As we were unsure which dog had swallowed the tablets, we had to induce voimiting in both, and then syringe 200mls of liquid charcoal into their mouths to prevent the tablets causing any further damage.
As you can see from the photo, they were not impressed by any of this, however we are pleased to say they are both doing well and are back at home now.
If you think you pet has eaten something it shouldn't have do not hesitate to contact us immediately on 0208 858 5151.
Poor Maisie caught in a fight...
Poor little Maisie was bought in to see us after her owner had found her in a sorry state, looking like she had either been attacked by a dog or been in a bad fight with another cat. On examination, it was clear that Maisie had broken her lower jaw (mandible), so we admitted her for pain relief and intravenous fluid therapy (IVFT) before shaving and cleaning her wounds so that we could take x-rays to determine the extent of the broken jaw and confirm that there was no further damage.
Our vet James succesfully wired the broken jaw- the wire will stay in place for the next six weeks while the jaw heals, after which we will repeat x-rays to check everything has healed correctly, before removing the wire. She has now gone home to enjoy lots of TLC from her owners and be reunited with her brother Max, who we hear was missing her very much! Good luck little lady!
He's Marty fine
This gorgeous pooch is Marty, who has been in to see us for some X-rays. Poor little Marty became lame on his left hind leg after falling awkwardly and has been unable to put any weight on it since.
Looking at the x-rays it was clear to our vet Alan that Marty has an avulsion of his tibial crest growth plate - it had detached from its normal placement, which most commonly occurs due to trauma. The tibial crest (labelled) forms part of the knee joint, the insertion point of the patella (knee cap) tendon.
We will be sending Marty's x-rays to a specialist for a second opinion to help determine the best treatment plan. In the meantime he has been kept on strict rest in order to avoid further damage. Good luck little Marty!
Twinkle, what a star!
This sweet little lady is Twinkle. She has had to have all her teeth extracted under general anaesthetic because of calicivirus. Calicivirus is a disease of the respiratory tract, which has symptoms including:
· Loss of appetite
· Discharge from the eyes and nose
· Difficulty breathing
· Ulceration of the tongue, hard palate, nose tip, lips and around the claws
· Inflammation of the gums
Her inflamed gums were causing Twinkle a lot of pain and discomfort and therefore the complete extraction was the best course of action. She recovered very well from her anaesthetic and is now at home for plenty of TLC. We will see Twinkle again soon to ensure that her gums are healing nicely.